Renters Insurance Required by August 30, 2013

August 26, 2013

Dear Graduate & Professional School Dormitory Students,

The 2013-2014 Housing Contract requires that students living in the Graduate Dormitories and Apartments have renters insurance to cover their personal belongings in case of accident or damage.  Yale does NOT cover personal items that are damaged or destroyed in dormitory or apartment rooms.  Those are the responsibility of the student/person occupying the room or apartment

The Yale Graduation and Dormitory Housing Office (GDHO) needs to have “Proof of Insurance” for each student or person occupying a dormitory room or apartment.

If your parents have a homeowner’s insurance policy that will cover student possessions in a college dormitory, please just forward us a copy of top page of the policy that includes the proof of insurance certificate with the policy number.

If you need to purchase insurance, you will find an insurance brochure in your check-in packet.  There is also an on-line brochure/application at:

The Insurance Company, Haylor, Freyer & Coon, has a college program set up with Yale, if you choose to use them.  Once purchased, they will give you a proof of insurance certificate that you can forward to us.

Besides these two options you can purchase renters insurance from any company that provides either personal property only OR personal property & liability coverage.  Whatever option you choose, the GDHO must have a copy of your proof of insurance certificate by August 30, 2013. 

Students who do NOT show proof of insurance by September 1, 2013, will be automatically signed up for a $2000 policy from Haylor, Freyer, & Coon, with a $50 deductible, for the cost of $70; the annual premium will be billed to your student account. Once purchased, this will be a non-refundable fee item.

All proof of insurance certificates can be faxed to the GDHO at 203-432-4578; scanned and emailed to; or mailed to the GDHO at 420 Temple St, New Haven CT 06511. 

If you have any questions, please contact


Renee Robichaud
Manager, Graduate Dormitory Housing Office
420 Temple St
New Haven CT 06511
(phone) 203-432-2167
(Fax) 203-432-4578