September 2013 - Newly Renovated HHH Welcomes Back Graduate Students. Read More.
Building Description (Dormitory)
Built in 1958, Helen Hadley Hall (HHH), at 420 Temple Street, is within easy walking distance of the Graduate School, libraries, science buildings, Law School, School of Music, and the School of Management. Hadley is a stop on several lines of the shuttle bus route, providing convenient access to all points on campus. The backyard patio is nicely landscaped and has picnic tables and a grill for warm weather gatherings. View more historic information about the history of HHH and Women at Yale.
HHH residence floors (floors 1–5) offer 178 coed student rooms, with approximately 18 men and 18 women assigned to each floor. The third floor of HHH is gender specific, meaning men are assigned into adjacent rooms closest to the men’s bathroom; women are assigned into adjacent rooms closest to the women’s bathroom.
Elevator Access, Shared Bathroom, and Furniture
There are two elevators and two staircases that service the five residential floors of HHH.
There are two large restrooms on each floor: men and women. All the residents on a floor will share the gender-specific multi-person bathrooms.
- Rooms have standard University-provided bedroom furniture: extra-long twin-sized bed frame and mattress, desk, desk chair, and bookshelf.
- Rooms at HHH also have a built-in closet, vanity mirror, lighting, and dresser drawers.
- There is one window per room, ceiling fan with light, and room darkening curtains.
Internet Access, Cable TV, and Mail/Package Delivery
- HHH rooms are provided with an Internet port, cable TV port, and telephone port. Students must activate the telephone port (via Yale University Telecom services) to use the landline telephone system. There is a separate charge for use of the telephone (and long-distance charges) but no additional charges for accessing the Internet or cable TV.
- Students accessing the Yale network must register their computers at www.yale.edu/netreg for full use of the Internet.
- All of HHH is on the University’s wireless network for student convenience!
- Mail is received by the U.S. Postal Service Monday–Saturday and distributed to student mailboxes. Student packages are received by the GHO and available to students during posted evening and weekend package pick-up hours in the back lobby of HHH.
- The large, ground-floor Common Room is a spacious and bright, sunlit area that is is well suited for the dormitory’s social functions, parties, and reading/study groups.
- The Common Room contains a small library, pool table, Ping-Pong table, foosball, and an adjoining “conference room” with table, chairs, cable TV, and DVD unit.
- There is a small gym with various workout equipment and free weights at the back of the Common Room for exclusive use of the Hadley residents.
The ground floor also hosts a University-sponsored computer room available 24 hours a day, with limited in-door bicycle storage, vending machines, and residents’ mailboxes.
Each residential floor has a laundry room with one washer and dryer.
There are several small student storage rooms on each floor.
Each floor has a kitchen with 2 stoves, 2 freezers, 2 sinks, 2 microwaves and 2 toaster ovens. There are separate counter areas for food preparation. Cooking is prohibited in student rooms, all cooking must be done in the common kitchens.
Residents are encouraged to bring and maintain their own mini-refrigerator in their room.
Security Access for Residential Areas
For Security purposes, the entry doors to HHH are locked. Students need a valid, programmed ID card to access the residential areas of HHH, including the elevators and stairwells.
The ground floor/lobby level area houses the Graduate Housing administrative offices, which are open Monday–Friday. Non-residents of HHH can access the front lobby during limited daytime hours to visit the Graduate Housing Offices.
|Student Room Sizes, Approximate dimensions:|
|148 Medium Rooms||10’x10’||approx 135 sq ft|
|27 Extra Large Rooms||10’x14’||approx 216 sq ft|
|1 HC Accessible Room (with priv bath) “Special”|